Shouldn’t Work But Does, Or: Halloween Curry.
When reading the list of ingredients, try not to assume that this curry will taste horrible. I just ate some, and it’s fantastic!
500g pumpkin, chopped and peeled
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander seeds
3 tsp curry powder
1 tsp water
300ml vegetable stock
1 under-ripe banana
1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
1/2 tin peeled plum tomatoes (use 2 tomatoes and a bit of the sauce)
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a wide saucepan. Fry the onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric and chilli powder (if using) for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the vegetable stock, plum tomatoes and cinnamon, bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend together the curry powder and water, then mix with the pumpkin until it is coated.
- After the 15 minutes are up, add the pumpkin and chickpeas to the curry and simmer for a further 15 minutes. If you are making rice to go with the curry, make it now!
- Serve hot, with a pumpkin lantern decorating the table.